Wednesday, September 29, 2010

4th Amendment Artwork

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."
- 4th Amendment of the United States Constitution


The fourth amendment says that no one has the right to search your home or property without probable cause. For example, if I am causally sitting in my living room and a police officer knocks at my door, I have the right to wish him away or let him in without being charged with some type of penalty unless that police officer has a warrant to search my home. In order to keep troublesome things from happening, probable cause comes into effect, if a police officer has some type of evidence that there is some illegal actions happening within the property they can pursue getting a warrant and search the premises. This amendment means a lot to me because I know that I am "safe" within my home and my property is safe as well. Below is a piece of artwork that expresses the meaning of the Fourth Amendment through wiretapping. 


Wiretapping Cartoon by Mike Lane

In the wiretapping cartoon on the left there is a man who says "Definitely a foreign tongue," in response to a baby, who is depicted on the right side making baby noises. Wiretapping is suppose to be "illegal" but it is not technically invasion of someone's home or property, just invasion of one's privacy. In the cartoon above, you can see how wiretapping has a chance to go wrong in a humorous way.

No comments:

Post a Comment